Most of us are well into our 2019 New Year’s resolutions by now – going to the gym, eating healthier foods and drinking eight glasses of water each day are all popular and worthwhile goals, but how often do you make a resolution that simply makes your life more fun? Like having a new adventure once a month? Luckily, living in the KC area makes it easy to do all of the above!
Push through those early mornings at the gym and that dressing-on-the-side kale salad by giving yourself a local adventure to look forward to enjoying. These day trip destinations are some of the best-kept secrets within a two-hour drive of Kansas City and worth every mile!
1. Somerset Wine Trail: Dreaming of a sunny afternoon sipping wine in Napa Valley? If your budgets of time or money don’t permit a spontaneous trip across the country, the Somerset Wine Trail may be the next best thing! Take a scenic drive to Paola and spend the afternoon riding around on a vintage trolley and enjoying some of the best local wine Kansas has to offer. The trail includes four different wineries, Somerset, Night Hawk, White Wind Farm and Middle Creek, and take about five hours from start to finish. Many of the stops have snacks and food trucks to enjoy along the way, as well as gift shops to browse through and specialty cocktails and libations such as wine slushies and wine-based limoncello.
2. The Elms Hotel: Excelsior Springs, Missouri has a fascinating history, much of which is tied to The Elms Hotel and Spa. The scenic hotel is reason enough for the trip, but you’ll definitely want to stay for the luxurious spa treatments and delicious food. Hang out for the day and get home in time for dinner, or book a room to get the full experience. If you’re into paranormal activity, you’ll want to stick around for the nightly Paranormal Tour, but whether or not you want to stay the night at the hotel after that is up to you!
3. Missouri Town 1855: Missouri Town 1855 is a fun experience for history buffs and kids alike! This 30-acre community is a live-action history book that takes you back to the reality of what it was like to live in a small Missouri town in the mid-1800s, complete with historical structures, a working farm and period actors. In addition to regularly scheduled visitor hours throughout the year, check out the town’s events calendar for celebrations in historical style such as Children’s Day, Independence Day and the Fall Festival.
4. Clinton State Park: Jayhawk basketball and Mass Street are great reasons to visit Lawrence, Kansas, but they’re not alone! Clinton State Park is the perfect spot to spend a day outdoors doing any of your favorite fair-weather activities. Open green space, shelters, playgrounds, a full-service marina, a variety of hiking and biking trails, a disc golf course and more offer something for everyone.
5. Overland Park Arboretum: The Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens is so much more than a pretty walk through a park; visitors can enjoy the gardens and walking trails year-round, with thousands of different plant and animal species to see and seasonal activities worthy of turning into a family tradition. Bring a picnic and go for a hike, make a day of taking family photos or take advantage of the perfect backdrop for prom and marriage proposals.
If you are ready to start your buying or selling process
give me a call. I'm happy to answer all your questions.